The National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA) requires agencies to consider the potential impacts of federally-funded projects to the social and natural environment. For this project, the NEPA process will include:
- Defining the project's purpose and need;
- Coordinating with the public and federal, state and local agencies to identify key resources in the study area;
- Identifying and developing project alternatives;
- Evaluating the potential environmental effects of feasible project alternatives; and
- Preparing an Environmental Assessment (EA) to document the environmental analysis.